Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Waking up.

I've been doing some reflection on what I want out of this little project. I'm trying to revive my business with more of a deliberate direction rather than a whimsical one. I've read a ton of articles and blog posts about how to make my business better. I'm in the middle of Artfire and Postling's Social Media Bootcamp (you may need an Artfire account to view that forum thread) as I'm determined to get a handle on that aspect and make better use of it as a means of connecting with people. Also, last month I participated in an online workshop which helped Etsy shop owners to better articulate what it is that makes their work unique and why they do what they do. Out of the fourty-five minute workshop, I not only gained a succinct shop description and mision statement, but I was also able to understand what I'm trying to do here a little better.

There's something else I've realized in the past year or so during my hiatus. I've realized that where I really excel is custom commissions. There's something about creating a piece with a specific person in mind that really brings out the best in my abilities. I use custom pieces as my playground to work with new materials, try new techniques and really stretch my limits. Perhaps my two favorite pieces ever are things I was commissioned to do for friends and relatives as gifts.

This necklace and earring set was commissioned last spring from a friend for her sister's birthday:
Ginger set 16

Ginger set 19

Ginger set 05
It's a huge wire-wrapped snowflake obsidian pendant (perhaps my best and cleanest wrap to date) strung on a beaded necklace of more snowflake obsidian, freshwater pearls, black onyx, "ice" quartz and silver glass seed beads. The earrings consist of the same beads as the necklace that are strung on Sterling silver wire.

This one was commissioned from my mother-in-law for my brother-in-law's girlfriend as a Christmas gift:
Leslie Necklace 01
It's a Monarch butterfly wing portion set in a copper bezel pendant and preserved with epoxy. I strung it on drapey copper chain which is accented by two beaded sections (freshwater pearls, black onyx and amber chips on copper wire). I only wish I had gotten better pictures of it. The butterfly wing turned beautifully translucent from the epoxy.

I'm wondering if I could possibly apply this design strategy to the things that I put up in my shop for a wider audience. If I could trick myself into believing that I was creating this piece for just one person, perhaps I could pull that sort of custom performance out of every piece made. It seems I'm not able to create my best work just for the sake of creating, but that I require purpose and direction. So, I'm trying to go about everything a little less haphazardly this time around. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment