Monday, February 15, 2016

A Very Special Engagement Commission.

I was recently approached by a friend to create a non-traditional piece of engagement jewelry for her intended. Now that all has been delivered and they've had the big reveal (he said, "yes"!), I can share the work I did for their special moment.

Before I do, I just want to say how very honored I was to be asked to participate in this way. I make very intentional pieces all the time. In fact, it could be argued that everything that comes through my hands is wound up with mindful selections, from the materials used to the curves and angles in the design. It is especially important to me that commissions be met with a careful balance between artistic freedom and collaboration with the client. I try to be in constant contact, particularly in the research and design phase, with potential materials and solutions to unique challenges that the piece may bring up along the way. It's very important to me that I get a feel for how things resonate with the recipient and that they're on board with all the selections being made.

That said, this one changed course a few times. She's familiar with my work and knows what lines I have available, and she really liked the Golden Snitch design, but wanted to incorporate their birthstones somehow (aquamarine and amethyst). I really loved that combination, so my first thought was to actually find a couple of spheres or large beads to cut in half and fuse together to create a centerpiece to the Snitch that would be more like one of my spheres. After shattering a 20mm amethyst bead, I went back to the drawing board.

I have been doing a lot of work with resin and wanted to expand my collection of molds for it, so I messaged her real quick to run it by her and ordered a couple of silicone sphere molds to see about taking gemstone chips in aquamarine and amethyst and creating a resin sphere that I could wrap like the typical gemstone spheres. That worked out beautifully and here is the result:


I'm happy, they're happy, everyone's happy. Love is grand and I wish them the very best for the rest of their lives together.

No comments:

Post a Comment