Wednesday, June 15, 2011

New projects and new skills

I've mentioned before how commissions really challenge me on a design level & on a skill level. I almost always finish a commission with a greater knowledge of how to do something, how not to do something, or how to do something better.

I'm facing one right now that will fall right into line on that front. I'll be recalling a skill I was taught a few years ago and have not since used (silversmithing) and developing a new one (glass cutting).

I posted before about the butterfly wing I encased in epoxy inside a premade pendant setting. I'd like to take that a step further because I don't feel that method showcases the wings in all their glory. I had a particular request for blue morpho wings & upon procuring some noticed that most species have lovely "eyes" and subtly beautiful undersides to their wings in addition to the stunningly iridescent topsides. I thought to really do them justice, I needed to find a way to show both sides.

I've seen others simply laminate the wings, but I want to make something more substantial than that. I'm going to attempt to sandwich the wings between two pieces of glass and create a silver bezel setting with a bail for it to sit in. This way I can create a custom setting for each full wing rather than cutting them down to fit in a premade one. And, they could potentially be reversible, to showcase both gorgeous sides. In the case of some of these morphos, they're going to be huge pendants!

Want to see what I'm working with? I know at least one person who does.




No comments:

Post a Comment